Get the preparation you need to earn a Ph.D.
Are you passionate about a career in the physical or biomedical sciences, but need additional coursework, training, or research experience before beginning PhD-level work?
By completing a Masters degree under the guidance of caring faculty mentors, students in the Fisk-Vanderbilt Masters-to-PhD Bridge program develop the strong academic foundation, research skills, and one-on-one mentoring relationships that will foster a successful transition to the PhD. The program is flexible and individualized to the goals and needs of each student. Courses are selected to address any gaps in undergraduate preparation, and research experiences are provided that allow students to develop and demonstrate their full scientific talent and potential.
The program provides:
- Full access to instructional opportunities at both Fisk and Vanderbilt, leading to the completion of most or all coursework required for the PhD;
- Research performed with Fisk and Vanderbilt faculty, leading to the selection of a Vanderbilt PhD adviser;
- A nurturing, friendly academic environment and a warm, social network with other Bridge students, postdocs, and faculty;
- Full funding support, including tuition waiver, monthly stipend, a laptop computer, and health insurance.
Who should apply:
- Students with undergraduate majors in physics, chemistry, biology, or other science disciplines
- Students motivated to pursue the Ph.D. but who require additional coursework, training, and/or research experience
How the program works, in a nutshell:
- Earn a Masters degree at Fisk in physics or biology or chemistry, with full funding support.
- Along the way, get valuable research experience with caring, dedicated mentors.
- Individualized support for connecting you to Vanderbilt professors.
- Personalized planning and support for application to Vanderbilt or other institutions of your choice.
Informational materials available below:
- [download id=512]
- [download id=515]
- [download id=478]
- Bridge Program NPR article